Adding low fat instant noodles to this simple frittata makes this a more nutritionally balanced dish that includes four of the five food groups. It can also be cooked in small patties and eaten as a healthy snack or popped in the lunch box and eaten cold.
Ingredients – serves 4
1 packed of low fat instant noodles
2 tbsps reduced fat milk
½ cup reduced fat cheese, grated
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp olive oil
4 spring onions, chopped
1 bunch of spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- Prepare instant noodles according to packet directions without using the flavour sachet. Strain and set aside.
- In a bowl mix eggs, milk, cheese and feta. Add noodles and combine.
- Heat olive oil in a fry pan. Add spring onions and spinach and cook until onions have softened and spinach has wilted.
- Carefully pour the noodle mixture into the pan and mix gently until combined with the spinach and onions.
- Cook on low to medium heat for 10 minutes with a lid on the pan.
- To brown the surface of the frittata, place frypan under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with salad and wholegrain toast.
This is a great dish to add any left-over cooked vegetables. Canned and frozen vegetables will also suit. Other vegetables that can be added include roasted pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot. Also try zucchini, peas and corn.