This recipe is the ideal way to use up your leftovers from the night before. It works best with left over roast dinner, using the remaining meat and vegetables. It is also great with any leftover BBQ chicken and mixed frozen vegetables.
Ingredients – serves 4
1 tbsp olive oil
4 spring onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 stems of celery, diced
200g left over roast meat, chopped
1 cup left over roast vegetables such as carrot, potato and pumpkin, chopped
1 bunch spinach, chopped
300ml reduced fat milk
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp reduced salt vegetable stock powder
8 sheets filo pastry
- Preheat oven to 1800C.
- Heat oil in frypan. Add spring onions, garlic and celery and cook until softened.
- Add the meat and vegetables to the pan and stir through. Keep warm on low temperature.
- To make the sauce, pour 250ml of the milk into a microwave proof bowl and heat on high for 1 minute. Mix the remaining milk with the cornfour in a separate bowl until it forms a paste. Add the cornflour paste to the warmed milk and microwave for a further 2 minutes, stirring after one minute. Sauce will thicken. Add the stock powder and mix through.
- Pour the sauce into the meat and vegetable mixture and mix through.
- Spray a baking dish with spray oil and line the dish with 4 sheets of the filo pastry. Pour the mixture from the pan into the dish and top with the remaining pieces of filo pastry, tucking in the sides.
- Spray the surface of the pastry with a little spray oil and bake for 40 minutes or until the pastry has browned.
To make a vegetarian alternative, replace the meat with cannellini beans.